The More Than Words Program was designed for parents of children ages 5 and who have been diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD). This program addresses the unique needs of these children. It provides parents with strategies and support they need to help their children reach their fullest communication potential.
More Than Words is an evidence based program that was developed by expert speech-language pathologists. The program itself is only delivered by Hanen Certified Speech-language pathologists who have completed specialized training from The Hanen Centre.
What goals will be targeted in More Than Words?
There are three specific goals targeted in this program:
- Improving your child’s social skills.
- The ability for your child to engage in back-and-forth interactions
- Improving your child’s understanding of language.
What will I learn when I attend the More Than Words program?
You will learn the following:
- How your child learns best and what motivates him to communicate
- Why your child behaves in certain ways, and what you can do to either increase or reduce those behaviours
- How to use your knowledge about your child to set realistic goals
- How to make interactions with your child last longer and be more meaningful
- Tips for using pictures and print to help your child’s understanding
- Tips on how to talk so that your child understands you
- Strategies for developing your child’s play skills
- Ways to help your child make friends
One example of a strategy you will learn in the program is ROCK
Repeat what you say and do
Offer opportunities for your child to take a turn
Cue your child to take his turn; and
Keep it fun! Keep it going!
What does the More Than Words program consist of?
The program consists of:
- 8 training sessions in small, personalized groups
- A Hanen Certified speech-language pathologist leading the program
- A pre-program consultation for you and your child with your speech-language pathologist
- Three individual visits for you and your child with your speech-language pathologist in which you are videotaped while practicing with your child. Then, you and your speech-language pathologist watch the video tape together and see what is helping and what you could do to help your child even further.
What do I need to get started?
You will need to locate a program nearest you. You will also need the More Than Words guidebook: A Parent’s Guide to Building Interaction and Language Skills for Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder or Social Communication Difficulties (you may choose to purchase this book a head of time to get a start on your learning, if you are waiting for a program).
What are the benefits of taking the More Than Words program?
The program teaches practical strategies you can use in everyday situations
The More Than Words Program focuses on your natural, day-to-day life with your child. You will be able to take everyday activities like meal time, story time and bath time and use them to help your child improve his communication and social skills. And you’ll have fun together while you’re doing it!
The More Than Words approach is easy to understand and easy to put into practice. With each strategy you learn, you will be given the opportunity to practice this with your child and receive feedback from the Speech Language Pathologist.
Look for a program near you!
Gwen is a Communicative Disorders Assistant with more than 17 years of experience working with a diverse client base. Her experiences have provided her with the wonderful opportunity to be associated with adults suffering from brain injuries, those that have experienced a stroke, children with articulation and language difficulties and children who have a limited word repertoire.