Social Thinking March Break and Summer Camps
S.L. Hunter SpeechWorks offers half-day March Break and Summer camps focusing on the skills and strategies of the Social Thinking concepts created by Michelle Garcia Winner. Social Thinking is what we do when we interact with people. We need to think about other’s thoughts and feelings in order to become better at interacting with them. Social Thinking bridges the connections between thoughts, feelings and behaviours paving the way for transferrable social skills. Children who present with near typical expressive and receptive language development, yet have concerns surrounding their social language skills are candidates for these groups.
Topics that will be targeted during the group include:
- Interacting and Relating to Others
- The Group Plan: Moving from ME to WE
- Thinking Thoughts and Feeling Feelings
- What are the “Expected” and the “Unexpected”: Social Behaviours Across Various Contexts
- Making “Smart Guesses” about Others’ Intentions
- Thinking with Our Eyes
March Break Camp: March 13-17th 2017
Summer camp: TBD
For groups, individuals are matched based on age, developmental level and needs. We are very committed to ensuring group partners are matched appropriately so optimal social thinking can occur.
Primary (4-8 year olds)
A deposit of $100 is required to reserve your spot.
Minimum enrollment is required.
- 2 hours of intensive therapy in a small group with an S-LP or CDA
- 1 hour of language stimulation through craft and activity time with an experienced volunteer
- Complimentary 15 minute screening to establish goals (new clients only)
3rd party insurance can be used for 15 hours of therapy
Language & Literacy Summer Camp
We offer a language and literacy summer camp for children ages 4-7 to boost their fundamental skills for reading in a fun and interactive way. The camp targets a variety of literacy skills while incorporating physical activities like basketball, parachutes, obstacle courses and more!
Literacy skills covered:
- Story sequencing and retell
- Letter and sound awareness/correspondence
- And more!!!
The camp is run by a qualified Speech-Language Pathologist (SLP) who is trained in both normal and disordered language and literacy. SLPs are the best equipped to work with the different needs of each child, whether a struggling reader, unique learner, or simply looking for a boost!
Give your child an exciting opportunity this summer to build their language & literacy skills to become a more confident reader during the next school year.
Date: August 21-25, 2017
Full payment is required upon registration.
Because this camp is run by a registered SLP, payment may be assisted by private health benefits.
Contact us today to enroll your child!